How to Play Pokies – Tips and Tricks
Chances are, if you are visiting this page, it is because you are unsure of how to play pokies. Well, if that is the case, you have nothing to worry about because we are about to explain how these games work.
Below, we look at all you need to start playing online pokie games, including how pokie machines work, tips and tricks, and myths about playing these games. So, read on to find out all you need to know about how to play pokie games.
Play Pokies Online in Australia
How Pokie Machines Work
There are a few concepts unique to pokie machines that you need to understand if you play these gambling games. We will do our best to cover all areas that may seem confusing to new players:
- Reels – this is the number of vertical columns featured in the game.
- Rows – this is the number of horizontal rows featured in the game.
- Board – the number of columns and rows in the game. The most common board is 5×3, meaning five reels and three rows.
- Paylines – the line you need to land the symbols in to get a payout. Generally, a game with multiple paylines offers more ways to win, but it will be harder to land the jackpot winning combination. If a game has adjustable paylines, you can turn some off. Remember that your bet is multiplied by the number of paylines you have active.
- Coin Size – usually a button that changes the total value of a bet. For example, a coin could have a value of $0.01 or $50, depending on the setting you selected.
- Coins Per Line – the number of coins you have decided to bet per line. For example, you can bet five coins per line. If the coin size you select is $50, you will bet $250 per line. We can work this out by multiplying the number of coins per line by the coin size.
- Max Bet – this is usually a button that practically all slot machines have. It allows you to bet the maximum allowed on a game without needing to adjust settings.
- Respin – another common button option on machines; the respin button allows you to rebet your last bet.
- Spin – the spin button activates the game with the coin size and coins per line selected.
- Paytable – the table provided with the machine that tells you how much each set of combinations pays out and how many symbols you need to land to activate a payout.
- Scatter Symbols – these symbols usually activate bonus modes or can increase a win. In most games, you need to land at least three symbols to start the mode.
- Wild Symbols – these symbols can be used to complete winning combinations. Depending on the game you play, they could also include multipliers that increase your winnings.
- Multipliers – multipliers are symbols or functions that multiply your winnings by a certain amount.
How to Play Pokie Machines – Step-By-Step
Now that you are familiar with some of the features of slot games, here is how you can go about playing a game:
Step 1 – Pick a Slot Game You Would Like to Play
As mentioned above, there are tons of slot games available to play with different bonuses, themes, features, etc. We suggest you go through what you can play and pick a game that best suits your needs. The most popular games at online casinos include three-reel and five-reel video slots.
Step 2 – Set your Coin Size
Your coin size refers to the bet size of the coin. Coin sizes vary from game to game. Usually, most games try to appeal to as many players as possible, so they’ll have coin sizes that range from a few cents to a few dollars.
Step 3 – Set the Number of Coins Per Line
Increasing the number of coins per line will multiply your bet per line by a certain factor. Most games let players multiply their lines by five coins, but some games go past 10 (although they aren’t fairly common.)
Sometimes doing all this math on the fly can be a little difficult. So, we recommend you play a slot game for free before spinning the reels on a max bet. This way, you will know exactly how much you are spending on a bet before you place it.
Step 4 – Select the Number of Paylines You Want to Play
Some games have more than one payline, and they are adjustable. Remember that the total number of paylines you play affects your total bet. The more you play, the bigger you bet per spin.
If you want to bet less, you may want to reduce the number of paylines you play per spin. Alternatively, if you want to increase your chances of winning, you will want to increase the number of paylines.
Similarly to with coins per line, we suggest you adjust paylines in free mode to know exactly how much you are betting and when.
Step 5 – Spin the Reels!
Once you have decided on your bet size and paylines, you are ready to try your luck on the slot game. Spin the reels and find out if you are lucky enough to win!
4 Pokie Tips and Tricks – How to Win
Unfortunately, there is no sure way to win while playing online pokies. Out of all the casino games, pokies can be considered one of the most random. However, this doesn’t mean there aren’t things you can do to help increase your odds of winning.
Here are some quick tips to help you better your chances:
1. Understand How Pokies Work
Lots of new players don’t really know how pokies work. Generally, they navigate to these machines because they have flashing lights, bright colours, big jackpots, and take up most of the casino floor.
As such, they start playing the game, make erroneous decisions, and may land up spending more than they would like on a few spins of a highly volatile game. This doesn’t always make for a fun gaming experience.
So, we implore you to learn how paylines, bet sizes, coins, and progressive jackpots work before you begin playing. You will only save yourself pain and heartache caused by mistakes in the future.
2. Play Slots with a High RTP
RTP stands for return-to-player. RTP percentages tell you how much a game pays out in relation to how much players spend on it. For example, if a machine has a 99% RTP percentage, it means that the game pays out 99c for every dollar spent on it.
This doesn’t mean that you will only risk 1c for every dollar you bet. It doesn’t work that way. Rather it indicates the game’s willingness to payout. Statistically, games with a higher RTP are more likely to pay out than those with a lower percentage.
3. Study the Volatility and Variance of a Game
Volatility and variance are two other terms you need to become familiar with if you are an avid slots player. Volatility refers to how the game’s willingness to payout fluctuates over a given period, such as a month. Variance refers to the general average return of the game.
Usually, games work on somewhat of a scale. Titles with bigger prizes tend to have high variance and volatility. In contrast, titles with smaller prizes tend to be low variance and volatility.
You are more likely to win on games with low variance. However, you are only likely to win six-figure sums of money on games that are high variance. You need to study the two options and decide what works for you.
4. Play Games You Can Afford
If you have a bankroll of $100, you should never play games that require you to wager at least $25 per spin. If you do, you risk losing your entire bankroll in four spins. You could get lucky and hit it big on the first spin, but the likelihood of this happening is minimal.
For the best gameplay experience, we suggest you play games that fit in your bankroll. This way, you can ensure you have longer gaming sessions and boost your chances of winning a substantial prize.
Pokies Myths Explained
If you are new to pokies, you may be susceptible to believing some of the rubbish myths that other players have about how games work. A lot of players fall into these traps. So, here is a quick run-through of some of the biggest myths surrounding pokie games:
- You will not win the next bet because you failed the last bet. Each bet is independent of the last. So, both spins could result in wins, neither could result in a win, or you could lose on one and not the other. There is no way to tell what is going to happen.
- Pokies do not payout better at specific times of the day. Some players believe that games pay out better in the early morning after the evening rush, but this is not true. There is no set number of incorrect spins – each spin is as random as the last.
- Hitting the stop button does not affect the outcome of the spin. Many players believe that they have to line up the reels to match symbols, but the outcome of the spin is decided after you hit the spin button. Hitting stop just speeds up the process of seeing the result.
- You can’t trick a slot game. Unless the game has a glitch, there is no way to ensure the next spin pays out. You could hack the game and alter the settings, but we recommend you don’t do this. Tampering with gambling games has a penalty that often carries a prison sentence.
How to Play Pokies – FAQs
There is no way to ensure that you will win in a pokie game. All you can do is sit back, spin the reels, and hope that the next outcome rewards you.
There is no solid way to pick a winning machine, but the best way to better your chances is to pick a game with a high return-to-player percentage and low volatility. These games are most likely to pay out because they are slightly more consistent than high volatility games.
When you play a pokie, you will need to set your bet size and number of paylines. This will determine how much you bet per spin. You will then spin the reels hoping to see matching symbols land on one of the active paylines.
No, pokies are not rigged. At least not if you play at casinos that are fair and use random number generators. The only way to ensure that you do not play at rigged casinos is to thoroughly vet each site by determining whether they are registered and regulated by appropriate governing authorities.
If you are new to the online gambling scene, we recommend starting with the following games:
1. Goldilocks and the Wild Bears (Quickspin – 97.84% RTP)
2. Greedy Goblins (Betsoft – 97.20% RTP)
3. Texas Tycoon (Realtime Gaming – 96.34%)
4. Wolf Treasure (IGT – 96%)
5. Temple Tumble Megaways (Relax Gaming – 96.25%)
There is no way to know when a slot machine will hit. All spins are completely random. There is no magical number of free incorrect spins.