Roulette Odds Guide 2021
Understanding the basics of roulette odds is an important start to improving your chances of winning. There are mathematical probabilities associated with every bet placed in roulette. Hence, having an understanding of the odds for each roulette bet can be beneficial. However, different odds depend on the roulette variant you play and any additional rules that may apply.
The odds in European roulette favour the player better than those in American roulette. One of the reasons European roulette game favours players more is due to the wheel containing only one zero. To start winning at roulette, you must understand the basic roulette odds and probabilities. This is the reason behind the preparation of this roulette odds article.
Casinos with the Best Roulette Odds
Roulette Bets Odds and Payout
Roulette bets can be classified into two main groups – Outside Bets and Inside Bets. In the layout of the table, the names relate to the position of the bets. On the other hand, the odds of winning outside bets are higher, but the payout is much smaller. The chances of winning inside bets are much lower, but the payouts are much greater. Below is a summary of the bet type and the payout and odds of winning in two of the most popular variants – European roulette and American roulette.
European Roulette Odds
American Roulette Odds
35 to 1
2 Number Combination
17 to 1
3 Number Combination
11 to 1
4 Number Combination
8 to 1
5 Number Combination
6 to 1
6 Number Combination
5 to 1
2 to 1
2 to 1
1 to 1
1 to 1
1 to 1
Outside Bets – Odds and Payouts
For those who prefer a safer bet, outside bets are a good option. Their chances of winning are much higher, but the rewards are average. There are many different options for these wagers. Still, the most popular one is called ‘even money’ because it covers most possible outcomes – except for zero (and the double zero in American roulette). A roulette even bet includes wagers on red, black, even or odd, and a 19-36 bet is 19 or 36.
The odds of winning all of those bets are close to 50%. To be more exact, the odds of winning ‘even money’ bets are 48.65% in European Roulette and 47.37% in American Roulette. Those bets have a 1:1 payout due to their high probability.
There is also an outside bet, Column, which covers 12 numbers on the table. With zero and double zero slots, this is about a third of all possible outcomes. With these bets, you are betting on the first, second, or third dozens of numbers (1-6, 13-24, 25-36). In European Roulette, the odds of winning with a column bet are 32.43%, while in the American version, they are 31.58%. However, the payout for these bets is slightly higher at 2:1.
Inside Bets – Odds and Payouts
In an inside bet, you bet on one number or a group of numbers. Numbers can be grouped in various ways, but they all depend on their position on the table. The winning odds of inside bets are significantly lower than those of outside ones, but the payouts are much higher.
- Straight: Bets are placed on one number and are also referred to as single-number wagers. The winning probability of this wager is the lowest, and the payout is the highest – 35:1. European roulette has a probability of 2.70% and American roulette of 2.63% that the ball will fall in the specific pocket.
- Split: Divide your bets into two out of 37 numbers, but you must choose two adjacent numbers. With a payout of 17:1, 5.41% of European roulette bets will win, and 5.26% of American roulette bets will win.
- Street bet: It involves playing three numbers in a row. For example, players can bet on 4, 5, 6, or 19, 20, and 21. With European roulette, this bet has a winning probability of 8.11%, and with American roulette, it has a winning probability of 7.89%. Wins on street bets have a payout of 11:1.
- Corner bet: Places bets on a group of four numbers, such as 1, 2, 4, and 5. There is an 8:1 payout for this wager, but it has a 10.81% chance of happening on European Roulette and 10.53% on its American equivalent.
- Double Street bet: involves betting on two rows of numbers for a total of six numbers. In European and American Roulette, the payout is 5:1, and the odds are 16.22% and 15.79%, respectively.
- Basket Bet: Also known as a five number bet in American roulette, where the player has the opportunity to place a bet on the 0, double 0 as well as 1, 2, and 3. Statistically, this bet has a 13.16% chance of winning, and the payoff is 6:1.