Best Australian Capital Territory Online Casinos (2021)
The best Australian Capital Territory (ACT) casinos let you play all your favourite real money casino games online, including pokies, table games, and casual gambling games. All you need to do is sign up, deposit, claim your bonus, and start playing!
If you would like to find out more about gambling in the Australian Capital Territory, we suggest you stick around. Below we look at everything you need to know about gambling in this area of the country, including what you can and can’t do. So, scroll down and find out all you need to know about casinos and sports betting in the ACT.
Top 5 Online Casinos in ACT
Australian Capital Territory Gambling Laws
Gambling in the Australian Capital Territory is governed by the ACT Gambling and Racing Commission, ensuring that the Gambling and Racing Control Act is followed. Outside of Western Australia, the ACT has some of the strictest gambling laws.
That stated, you could play most gambling games in the area, including pokies, table games, and casual gambling games.
Online Gambling Laws in ACT
Online gambling in the Australian Capital Territory is governed by the Interactive Gambling Act of 2001. The amendments made in 2017 declare that no organisation operating on Australian borders can offer Australians online gambling services.
The law says nothing about offshore companies offering Australian gambling services. So, you can gamble online at these casinos without fear of being prosecuted. It is also interesting to note that the business will be held liable, not the player, according to how the law is detailed. So, this is another reason to try out the online space.
Land-Based Casinos in Australian Capital Territory
There is only one brick-and-mortar casino in the Australian Capital Territory:
|Casino Canberra||Pokies and table games||21 Binara St, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia|
Outside of Casino Canberra, there are tons of bars where you can find pokies. There are also racetracks in Canberra where you can bet on horse and greyhound races.
How to Pick an Online Casino in ACT
Joining an offshore online casino can be a little scary. After all, the Australian government cannot hold these casinos liable for misconduct. So, here’re a few tricks to help you make the right choice and avoid sites that take you for a ride:
Nobody wants to join an online casino and get scammed. So, here are some areas you need to triple check before you deposit at a site:
- Licenses – as mentioned above, the Australian government has not sanctioned any online casino. But that doesn’t mean that they can’t be licensed and registered somewhere else that can hold them to certain standards. So, in short, don’t join casinos that aren’t licensed, or you will have a bad time.
- SSL Encryption – this is the online industry standard for ensuring all information you share with a site is encrypted. If an online casino does not at least use 128-bit SSL encryption, we recommend you avoid it. You cannot be entirely sure that your information is being protected.
- Game Testing – a trustworthy casino regularly has its games tested to show players that their games are safe to play. Independent testing bodies include Technical Services Testing (TST) and eCOGRA. If the casino’s certificate is not up-to-date, you have no reason to trust it.
Essentially, games are the reason you are joining an online casino. Thus, you need to ensure that the casino you choose to join actually offers the games you want to play. The best online casinos have hundreds of online pokies available, but they also offer table games (blackjack, baccarat, roulette, and craps) and casual gambling games (scratch cards, bingo, and lottery games).
Not all casinos offer the same games, so we suggest you have a look at a casino’s library before you join the site. In addition, you might want to play a specific game from a certain provider, and that casino could potentially not be powered by them.
Bonuses and Promotions
Bonuses and promotions casino extend your gameplay experience if they are any good. A good match could add hundreds if not thousands of dollars to your bankroll. However, not all bonuses are worth it.
Some bonuses and promotions could be a sign of an online casino that is not willing to payout. Remember that any casino with a 100x wagering requirement on a bonus really doesn’t want you to withdraw your money.
The requirement means that even if you deposit $10 and get a 100% match, the playthrough requirement could need you to playthrough $2,000.
So, check the terms and conditions of a bonus offer before you accept it. You will only prevent future regrets.
Online casino gaming is powered by banking. To win real money, you need to make real money deposits to wager. If you win, you are going to want to withdraw your winnings. As such, you need to ensure that a casino offers you ample ways to get your money in and out of the casino.
Remember that casinos might also not offer the same deposit and withdrawal methods. This may seem a bit confusing, but what we mean is that you can deposit with credit cards, but you can’t withdraw with the same method.
Here is a list of the most popular banking methods at online casinos:
- Credit cards
- Prepaid cards
- Bank transfers
The amount of time it takes for your money to get to you depends on which casino you join and which banking method you use. Generally, it shouldn’t take a casino longer than 3-5 days to give you your money, but some methods may take longer. If they don’t post this time on their website, you should immediately become sceptical.
Check out our other state gambling guides:
Australian Capital Territory Facts
Here are some interesting facts about the Australian Capital Territory (ACT):
- Unsurprisingly, the ACT is home to the capital of the nation, Canberra. Yet, despite being the capital, it has the second smallest population of all major cities across Australia.
- 70% of the area in the ACT is unused open landmass. In fact, the area’s openness is why the capital has been given the nickname “The Bush Capital.”
- Canberra is the only planned major city in Australia. All other cities were formed as colonies grew and developed as the colony grew.
- Canberra has three sister cities: Beijing (China), Wellington (New Zealand), and Nara (Japan.)
- The suburbs of the city are named after ex-Prime Ministers. The last prime minister to get his own suburb was Gough Whitlam, who was in office between 1972 and 1975.
Gambling in ACT – FAQs
Yes, there are pokie machines in the Australian Capital Territory. There are about 4,000 pokies in the area, but none are available in Casino Canberra, which is limited to operating table games.
There is one casino in the ACT; Casino Canberra. Unfortunately, as mentioned before, the casino only offers players the chance to play table games. This may be a drawback for some players, but we cannot recommend the casino enough if you love poker.
Yes, you can gamble online in the Australian Capital Territory. However, you can only do it through offshore online casinos because they do operate with Australian borders and, as such, do not violate the Interactive Gambling Act.
Even if the law were to come after someone, the law is worded so that the business would be prosecuted, not the player. So, you will not get into legal trouble by playing at an offshore online casino as a resident of the ACT.
1. Jackpot Jill
2. Lucky Luke
3. Wild Card City
4. Raging Bull
5. King Johnnie
Yes, online gambling is popular in the Australian Capital Territory. However, as there is only one casino in the area (and it doesn’t offer pokies), players need to find alternative ways to get access to a wide range of pokies easily.
The gambling age in the Australian Capital Territory is 18. However, the gambling age is regulated by federal law, which means it is the same everywhere.