Video Poker Rules – How Does Video Poker Work?
As one of the popular casino games it imperative that you know video poker rules to play the game. The casino game is compared to slots because of the similar machines they use. Besides that, the games differ in gameplay.
Around the 1970’s video poker entered the gambling market and has grown ever since. The game is exciting to play and offers good odds of winning. You can enjoy Jacks or Better or Deuces Wild at virtual casinos right after you read our video poker rules.
Top Online Video Poker Casinos
Rules About Playing Video Poker
The great aspect about playing video poker online is that there are different types. The rules of each game are slightly different and so is the payouts. You need to know the basic rules of the game before even thinking about engaging in various video poker games. You might try to wing it but chances are you’ll do even better when you understand the gameplay and use a great strategy.
The objective of the game is to create a winning combination of cards that will payout. Video poker is based on a classic 5 card draw poker. There are some rules of the game that are similar across different variants of video poker such as:
- A bet will need to be made
- 5 cards are dealt at the beginning of the game.
- You can hold or discard cards.
- Discarded cards will be replaced in a draw.
- You win when you have a winning poker hand according to the pay table.
Video Poker Hand Rankings
The Royal Flush is considered to be the highest paid hand in video poker. Followed by a Straight Flush, Four of a Kind and so on. We thought it would be in your best interest to know how hands are ranked on the table from highest to lowest:
|Royal Flush||10, Queen, Jack, Ace King, of the same suit|
|Straight Flush||9, 10, Jack, Queen, King – five successive cards of the same suit|
|Four of a Kind||5,5,5,5 – four cards that have the same value|
|Full House||9,9,7,7,7 – has a pair and three of a kind|
|Flush||8, 3,5,9,10 all clubs – five cards that belong to an identical suit but no in order|
|Straight||6,7,8,9,10 – five cards of successive value which are not in the same suit|
|Three of a Kind||2,2,2 – three cards of the same value and two that are different|
|Two of a Kind||4,4, Queen, Queen – two sets of pairs that have an identical value and another card|
It’s crucial to take note of the pay table along with the winning poker hands. The chart (pay table) displays the rank of winning hand and payouts. The video poker variation, how much you bet and the hand rank affect your payout. Also, pay tables won’t be the same depending on the casino.
RTP and House Edge
Gambling sites will have an advantage over players which is frustrating especially if you are losing. One less thing to be upset about is the fact the video poker has a low house edge which gives you a better opportunity of winning.
Variations of Video Poker
There are players who are still learning the differences between the games. With a range of video poker games choosing the right game may be overwhelming. However, it doesn’t have to be this way because you already know video poker rules and have information about the pay table. Go for casino games that have a high RTP. Here are some of the video poker variants that are worth your time:
- Jacks or Better (RTP 96.54%) – Previously known as Draw Poker before scrapping the name for Jacks or Better. The casino game is common version of online video poker and uses 52 cards. Five cards are used to play the game and it is also identified as the lowest winning hand.
- Deuces Wild (RTP 100% +) – This game is simple to learn and the 2’s are referred to as Wild Cards. To get a winning combination the 2’s in the deck replace whichever card you want. The Wild Card can assist in getting you a Royal Flush.
- Aces and Eights (RTP 98.63%) – The game is based on Jacks or Better but has high payouts for some hand combinations. You will typically play the game using 52 cards, be dealt with five, keep or discard cards to come up with a strong hand.
- Tens or Better – Another game that is related to Jacks or Better is this one. You require a pair of tens or better to get a payout. The lowest winning hand is a pair of tens. The odds of winning a bit higher but you won’t win much in the long term.
Video Poker Strategy
You need to do research to find video poker games that have great payouts. This includes checking the pay table as well. The web has a list of games that have a high Return to Player (RTP) which is worth looking at. When you play video poker you need to evaluate your cards to make the right move.
Remember the unique types of video poker have different strategies. However, Jacks or Better is the foundation of most games which means this version paves way for more advanced game strategies. Depending on how high and low cards are dealt, you will have more options. Should you get a Jacks or Better in other kinds of video poker, keep the high pair. If there is a possibility of hitting a Royal Flush or Straight Flush hold onto the cards at the expense of losing Jacks or Better.
Players with different skills can play a variety of video poker games to test their strategy. This is after they have created a winning strategy formed after thoroughly doing research and doing what works for you.
Other Video Poker Guides